• Media preparation (weighing out dehydrated media, dispensing liquid media, autoclaving, etc.).
• Media quality assurance.
• Maintenance of laboratory media stock (ensuring adequate stocks of media are available for immediate analysis of samples, maintaining adequate stocks of dehydrated media, etc.).
• Equipment calibration (pH meters, balances,Dilumat, etc.).
• Recording of data for laboratory records (recording daily incubator temperature readings, etc.).
• Washing of laboratory glassware (washing glassware, filling and emptying dishwasher, filling and emptying drying cabinet, etc.).
• Collection and sorting of clean glassware, and replacement in allocated storage areas.
• Collection of broken glassware and disposal in designated bin(s).
• Cleaning of laboratory suites (including sweeping and washing floors, washing glass partitions, etc.).
• Sample reception and booking in of customer samples (unpacking customer samples, checking agreement with customer paperwork, booking samples in to SMS Laboratory Systems, labelling samples, etc.).
• Preparation of samples for processing in the laboratory (labelling sample bottles, plates,petrifilms, stomacher bags, etc).
• Microbiological analyses of samples (weighing out, plating out, ELISA, etc.).
• Chemical analyses of samples.
• Reading and recording sample results (reading plates, petrifilms, ELISA, etc.).
• Passing completed sample results (job packs) to Laboratory Manager.
• Liaising with customers, e.g. clarifying sample analyses requested, interpreting results, etc.
• Processing laboratory paperwork, customer reports,etc.
• Preparation of laboratory report templates.
• Auditing and Quality Control in support of UKAS accreditation.
• Any other duties as may be requested by the Laboratory Manager.
• Full training will be given where necessary.
• This job description is not intended to be a complete list of duties but is meant as a guide. The job description will be reviewed and duties may change after consultation.